Wednesday, March 9, 2011

real chinese food

2.14.2011 - 2.17.2011

Back in the US whenever we crave something Asian or anything like home food we would go to a Chinese resto. Much to our disappointment will find cheap buffet Chinese food would taste the same on everything, be it pork, chicken, beef, veggie or seafood. But there are also decent ones that serve good chinese food, just consider the fact that it can be really pricey. So I would say I was never this satisfied until I've tasted real Chinese food [without hurting our budget] here in Hongkong. And the best Chinese food I've had was not even from a fine dining restaurant. Even if we did not really have the time to find out and try all the best places, we luckily ended up discovering some of these. How? It was plain simple.. my sister and I would just go inside a jam-packed place where most locals seem to go, then we would just sample whatever looked interesting.

Here's the first place we have tried. This is Ming Yuen Noodles restaurant near Ladies Market in Mong Kok. What caught our attention was how food was cooked in these clay pots or palayok lined up in this giant stove.


This is the best dish we've tried.. that we actually had to do a repeat on our last night in Hongkong ;)

seafood with hot potted rice
crab sticks, shrimp, cuttle fish and scallop sinaing with the rice
this only costs HK$45 = P225 [US$5.8] approx
beef stew brisket with egg noodles
this only costs HK$25 = P125 [US$3.20] approx

And then there's street foods.. 
Too bad, I [honestly] wasn't brave enough to give it a try. It's just that I wasn't sure how my tummy would handle it. And diarrhea would probably be the worst thing to happen if you're on a trip and really far from home. But anyway, the street foods somehow looked really interesting.


I love milk tea, we just had to try it here in Hongkong..
There are actually numerous food stands along the street where you can get it.


But this was the best I've had..  
[and not even my favorite Philippine local Quickly taro milk tea came close]
I would highly recommend this to my friends or anyone who's visiting Hongkong to go and try it but unfortunately I wasn't able to remember the name of the restaurant where I got it **lame.

.
taro milk tea

Here's a funny fact: I don't understand what it was with me but I always have to order beef brisket in every meal and in every place we end up to. So guess what, I have tried all kinds of beef brisket, with all different kinds of noodles too. And my sister and I would laugh about it.

beef brisket
And now the other famous Chinese dish that we've tried as well..

wonton noodle soup
pork barbecue [not on a stick]

It was truly a great experience having tried all these great food in another part of the world. And that was actually the best part of the trip.